Kasa Plugs Keep Losing Connectivity

Hi,

Like many other Equiwatt users, my Kasa KP115 smart plugs are becoming very unreliable for everyday use.

I replaced two plugs with new KP115 units in recent months. But now these KP115 units are also losing connectivity on a daily basis – both after Equivents, and at other times.

Kasa support don’t want to address the issue. Plus, it’s now becoming very expensive (£28+) to replace the KP115 with new units when other smart plugs are less than half the price.

Frankly, the only reason I’m still using Kasa units is that they are the only smart plugs that Equiwatt supports. The other energy monitoring smart plugs I have (including TP-Link’s own Tapo range) don’t seem to suffer these issues.

Will Equiwatt support other smart plug brands in the future, so that users have more options to choose from?

Richard Tubb.

Hi @Richard_Tubb,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing increasing issues with your KP115 smart plugs. As mentioned in our previous post regarding the KP115 smart plugs if you have redeemed or purchased the smart plug from us and wish to request a replacement plug, we are happy to provide one. Please just get in touch with us at hello@equiwatt.com and we will get a replacement sent out to you.

In terms of supporting other smart plug brands, this is something that is being worked on as we speak and we hope to be able to give you an update on this as soon as we can.

In the meantime, we do want to bring to your attention that we have created a number of applets via IFTTT which can be utilised to enable automatic participation of a number of smart devices in events.

Furthermore, we have an open API and webhooks which can also be used to participate devices in events automatically via Home Assistant.

I appreciate that setting these up does require a bit of technical knowledge and potentially other costs but I wanted to bring these to your attention in case you were not aware.

Automation is a key part of our service so we want to make sure that we can offer easy to use and reliable hardware or integrations for the equiwatt community, so rest assured providing an alternative to Kasa is very much something that we are working on resolving.

All the best,

Mark - Team equiwatt

1 Like

I agree with Richard i have had 2 fail recently it appears as if they are tring to connect to wifi as the led is flashing orange/green continuously, every day one or other show out of network range, the only way to resolve is to turn off the socket, this is no good if its programmed. Is it not possible to have other manufacturers apps registered