Late notificaion of Equivent for those taking part manually

I had no prior notificaion of todays event. At 17:02 I was notified of a message. I didn’t respond immediately as I was boiling the kettle for a cuppa at the time. By the time I got back to my phone it was 17:15. I had notification that an event started at 17:00. Basically, no point taking part as I’ve already used up my Wh for the period of the event.
Anybody else have this problem, or am I the problem?

1 Like

Hi @colin_whitfield, welcome to the community. I think this is quite a fair point and this is something we are currently working on. We started out with automated EVs & Plugs, and only recently did we come out with the smart meter integration which allows you to earn points via manual participation. (Note that it still says “(Beta)” when you have participated via your Smart Meter)

So some of our flows - like advanced notice of an event unless it’s a DFS event, are still catching up.

We hope to rectify these in the coming releases. But it’s very much a step by step process as we don’t want to radically change everything in one go.

Hope that makes sense.

This issue also affected the webhook. I think during the same Equivent I received both the app notification and the webhook fired at 17:08 meaning that I missed most of the first 10 minutes. So far it does appear to be a one off.

I had the same with using the IFTTT link, the start event didnt trigger until 17:08 and the end event never triggered at all, this was the first time using it with it linked to my Home Assistant, luckily being the first one I didnt trust it and manually shut off everything.

I also noticed in the app from manually watching it it didnt show the event had started at 5pm either.

Yeah this event had some issues related to Kasa at the start which caused the event to start late.

1 Like

After preparation and startup of my Bread making machines, I found an Equivent notification on my phone (16th Nov '23). Too late now to save the required 329Wh, so I actually used 2.41kWh during this period. Shucks, how did this happen… ;o)

Hi @David_Lewis I am not sure what has happened in this instance.

Checking your account I can see that the first notification that the powerDOWN event was happening was sent at 13:28 PM on 16 November with a reminder sent at 15:26 PM and then a final reminder at 16:45 PM. For this event, an issue on ESO’s end meant that we were not able to give you notice the day before as should have been the case but even still you should have received the other notifications in enough time.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused. For future reference we will be sending emails and posting via social media (Twitter, Facebook & Instagram) to let you know about upcoming DFS events as far in advance as we can, so keep an eye out for them alongside any notifications too.

Thanks, Mark - Team equiwatt

The preparation (cleaning/loading) can be an hour, and the Wholemeal cycle of a Panasonic bread-making machine takes five hours. Once started, few people would cancel to earn a few pence. We need a longer notice period.

Hi @David_Lewis, we appreciate that and we know from experience that the more notice we can give the easier it is for people to participate. In this instance we would have been able to give notice the day before but for an error on ESO’s side that meant we couldn’t notify you until the issue was resolved.

However, the notice period that we are given is ultimately decided by ESO for DFS events. For some of the events, you will be notified 24 hours ahead, for others you will only receive notice on the same day. It will all depend on the requirements of ESO and the grid.

Thanks, Mark - Team equiwatt