Points earned from smart meter

Is there a formula for how points are earned from energy reductions derived from smart meter readings? I turned off everything possible for the event on the 25th Nov including all lights and an electric heater and sat in near darkness for an hour only to be awarded 7 points! On other occasions I have done less and earned more points. Is there any logic involved?

@Oliver_Dawson Hi Oliver, I’ve just checked, and you’ve actually received a total of 75 points for that event! When you have energy monitoring devices connected, points saved by them get removed from your Smart Meter points and allocated to the device directly.

The points also depend on your forecast. We use your historic usage data to predict how much energy you may use during an event, and your savings are calculated based on your reduction off the predicted use.

Hey I’m not complaining, just trying to make sense of the numbers. The smart plugs accounted for the majority of the reduction. Do you use the smart meter data for the hours prior and subsequent to the event as part of the calculation or is it based on the typical consumption for that period on previous days? I don’t underestimate how complicated it might be.

1 Like

It’s a bit of both, as we don’t want people turning on their devices just before events to cheat the system (especially with DFS events as we announce them beforehand). It’s definitely quite complex :sweat_smile: and it’s getting more and more complex all the time, as we’re now bringing machine learning into the equation to more accurately predict!

We can’t really give an exact equation of this as it’s proprietary, but I can assure you that we do our best to give you the highest points. Especially if you compare the recent DFS schemes from other suppliers, we currently give you the highest £.